BAPTISM AND BAPTISM PREPARATION
Once the Baptismal Preparation class is attended and the Godparent Eligibility Certificates are turned in then a date for your child’s Baptism will be set.
Remember godparents requirements are:
At least one member must be a fully practicing Catholic with all sacraments of initiation, at least 16 years of age and if married, have a valid sacramental marriage. The other Christian Witness may be a Non-Catholic who is baptized and a member in good faith in their church. Letters of sponsorship (see sample form at bottom of page) are required for all Godparents and Christian Witnesses. If you belong to St. Mary’s your records will be checked here in the office.
1. Baptism Preparation Class (required if you haven’t attended in the last 5 years) (PARENTS AND GODPARENTS)
- A. Class is held the first Thursday of the month at 7:00PM in the Parish Center upstairs with Deacon Gary Richardson. Please call the rectory office and let us know what class you will be attending.
- B. All certificates required, such as Certificates of Eligibility for sponsors, should be presented at the class attended, if you don’t have the certificate for the class it must be presented as soon as possible.
- C. A Baptismal offering of $35.00 must be presented at the class attended.
- D. The attached requirements MUST BE MET FOR ALL SPONSORS OF BAPTISM. This is Canon Law (Nos. 872 to 874, 1% to 5% plus #2).
2. Baptism Preparation Class (not required if attended in the last 5 years – must show proof if you didn’t attend here at St. Mary’s)
- A. All certificates required, such as Certificates of Eligibility for sponsors, must be presented as soon as possible so that a date can be set for the Baptism.
- B. A Baptismal Offering of $35.00 is to be presented with the above paperwork two weeks in advance.
- C. The attached requirements MUST BE MET FOR ALL SPONSORS OF BAPTISM. This is Canon Law.
*****BAPTISMS ARE DONE ON THE FIRST AND THIRD SUNDAYS OF THE MONTH. YOU ARE ASKED TO BE AT CHURCH AT 12:15 (after 11:30AM Mass) as the baptism will start after Mass has ended.
If you have any questions regarding the above requirements please call the Rectory Office Monday through Friday 9AM to 3PM @ 298-0261.
If you would like to have family and friends see the baptism over the internet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org 2 weeks prior to the event for more info.
CHAPTER IV SPONSORS
Can. 872 – Insofar as possible one to be baptized is to be given a sponsor who is to assist an adult in Christian initiation, or, together with the parents, to present an infant at the baptism, and who will help the baptized to lead a Christian life in harmony with baptism, and to fulfill faithfully the obligations connected with it.
Can. 873 – Only one male or one female sponsor or one of each sex is to be employed.
Can. 874 –
$1. To be admitted to the role of sponsor, a person must:
1% Be designated by the one to be baptized , by the parents or the one who takes their place or, in their absence, by the pastor or minister and is to have the qualifications and intention of performing this role;
2% Have completed the sixteenth year, unless a different age has been established by the diocesan bishop or it seems to the pastor or minister that an exception is to be made for a just cause:
3% Be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the sacrament of the Most Holy Eucharist and leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken;
4% Not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared:
5% Not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
$2. A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecciesial community may not be admitted except as a witness to baptism and together with a Catholic sponsor.